Thursday, May 29, 2014

Goodbye

Oh man, this post is not an easy one to write. Bands come and bands go. That's what bands do. Some touch your life more than others, some leave a mark on you that changes you forever. The band that has touched my life the most and on more levels than any other is: Bane. Best friend, road trips, meeting cool people, sweat, singalongs, stagedives, girlfriend, anger, frustration, escapism, hope: Bane.
There have been rumors about Bane breaking up as long as I've known the band. But they just kept going and going and somehow I came to the conclusion, that they'd be around forever. At least I was hoping that. But of course that was not true. Bands are supposed to break up eventually. And sadly this point has come for Bane now.

I have to take a walk down memory lane here. Sorry about that. I got into hardcore kind of late and consequently found out about a lot of bands only when I was in my early 20s. No shame here, that's just the way it was for me. Anyway, when I started studying I met one of my two very best friends on my first day at university. My life wouldn't be the same without him and I couldn't imagine a life without him being a part of it. He was into hardcore/punk, just like me, but he'd been around a while longer, so he introduced me to a lot of bands and we took endless road trips to shows. He's a family man now, so we don't get to hang out or go to shows together that often anymore, but that doesn't really matter since we're still best friends.
When I went to Wales for my studies in 2005, I naturally started looking out for fliers and posters advertising shows when I was there. So one day I went to a record store in Cardiff and picked up a couple of fliers. One of them was for a show at TJ's in Newport. The bill read: two local bands (whose names I'm not 100% sure of), FC Five from Japan, Comeback Kid (USA) and Bane (USA). I mailed my friend to ask him if those bands were any good and if it was worth going there. His answer was "Dude, absolutely go there, all of these bands rule!". So that's what I did. I really liked the atmosphere at TJ's, small venue, small stage, small and friendly crowd. All signs of a promising evening. The local bands (maybe Captain Insano, Dignity Dies First???) were pretty good I thought and if it was them, it turned out that their members were pretty cool people, too. Next up were FC Five. Loved their show and I'm still bummed out that I didn't pick up any merch by them. But money was a little tight back then. Comeback Kid put on a great show, too. This was the time when only their first two LPs were out and they were still a good band imho. There was an overall good crowd reaction for all bands,  even for the opening bands. Something that is not usual. Then Bane came on and the place went nuts. I'd never heard Bane before, and I'm glad I hadn't cause I got to experience Bane for the very first time doing what they do best: play their hearts out on stage. What was more, I'd never heard a singer of a band say so many things in between songs that I could relate to that much. So many singers do their little thing between songs and it's boring or cliché, but Aaron Bedard has just a way with words that moves me every time I see them to this very day. That's one of the things I'm gonna miss the most when they're gone. I still get shivers down my spine thinking back to that night.




Some time ago last year, Aaron said at a show that Bane were recording a new album. However it would be their last one. I was really bummed. I always knew that day was coming but finally hearing it was something completely different. At least I had something to look forward to: new Bane songs. However, after their last 7"s I was very cautious of getting my hopes up since the last songs didn't really click with em. Still, new songs by Bane…
Fast forward to spring 2014. Bane came over to Germany and played two shows to promote their new songs. I went to both shows in Berlin and Leipzig and at each show they played some of the new songs. I was hooked right from the start and from that day I couldn't wait to hold the new LP, aptly called 'Don't Wait Up', in my hands.
As much as I'd been looking forward to this record, I have a couple of qualms with it regarding its release. I'm not opposed to pre-orders, quite on the contrary, but two different pre-order versions, available exclusively at two different online shops? Come on… Paying shipping twice where it's not necessary. Just to make matters worse, a couple of days after the pre-order had started, one of the shops put another version online. Really?
Anyway, once the records started to arrive, I couldn't wait to spin the new Bane album. I hadn't listened to the stream online because I wanted to really celebrate that moment of listening to the final Bane album for the first time (yeah, nerd talking here). And I was more than rewarded for my patience. Don't Wait Up is so much better than I'd ever hoped for. The words 'flawless' and 'awesome' come to mind. I love (pretty much) everything about this album. The cover art is so good and fitting, the lyrics are outstanding as always and the music combines everything that makes Bane Bane. 'Wrong Planet' may have the most touching line I've ever read and it may be the most touching song I've ever heard. 'Pretty much everything' because the collector in me is not really happy with the choice of colours here. I don't think the orange really fits all that well and marbled purple (something in the vein of Start Today) would have looked so much better in my opinion than the solid purple. I really like the turquoise though. Anyway, I just tell my inner collector to shut up and be happy with the fact that Bane managed to go out on a really high note. Can't wait for the other versions to arrive.


I've never been much good at saying goodbye either. Goodbye.









Bane - Don't Wait Up - End Hits - purple -/300
Bane - Don't Wait Up - End Hits - turquoise -/400
Bane - Don't Wait Up - End Hits - orange -/500



No comments:

Post a Comment