Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Tides

Just Went Black is my favourite hardcore band from Germany ever. I fell in love with the band in 2006 when they played a show with Good Clean Fun at one of my favourite venues. They were so good live that I just needed to pick up their records. That's when I fell in love with the band for the second time, because they also rule on vinyl. I'm still bummed that they broke up a few years ago and that I wasn't able to make it to their last show.

My favourite release by them and one of my all-time favourite records in general is their only full-length LP Tides. This one falls into the category 'perfect record'. Not only are the music and the lyrics nothing short of great, but the artwork for the cover and the inside is so well done in my opinion, too, and fits the overall tone of the record perfectly. I also really like the colours chosen for this release. I've had the versions on clear and black vinyl for the longest time, but the marbled off-white/sperm coloured one had eluded me in what felt like forever. I contacted a few people who had one, but none of them wanted to let go off it. Quite understandably.

A few weeks back I posted a picture of my copies of the LP and the 10" they released on Instagram. In my comment I added that I was still looking for a copy of the rarest version, hoping that someone might  sell or trade me the record. A few days later someone commented the picture, saying he was the former singer of Just Went Black and that he still had a spare copy of this version. So I wrote him a message and he offered to send it to me. That alone was a really nice surprise, but what was more, he told me that he didn't want anything in return, not even for shipping. Basically he told me that the record was only collecting dust standing around on his shelf and if he could help me out with my collection, he'd be more than happy to do so. Way to make me speechless and enormously grateful at the same time. Thanks again, Sven. Life can be pretty good sometimes.








Just Went Black - Tides - Assault Records - marbled off-white/sperm - /90
Just Went Black - Tides - Assault Records - black - /700
Just Went Black - Tides - Assault Records - clear - /200

No comments:

Post a Comment