Thursday, July 14, 2016

Last Great Sea

Things have admittedly been really slow on here these last few months. Work was rather crazy lately and I sort of took a break from buying records, just to prove to myself that I could. Does anyone know that feeling when buying records seems more like becoming routine than something you feel genuinely excited about? When you start fretting about (not) missing out on pre-orders, tour pressings, first presses on limited colours etc. to a degree you don't feel comfortable with? Like a burn out for record collectors? That's how I felt a little bit and I thought it was necessary to take a step back and reassess a couple of things.

I didn't quit collecting completely though because I love it too much. I still bought a couple of new releases and I was lucky enough to do some cool trades. Even though I cut down the amount of records I bought, somehow I managed to pile up quite some backlog...

The first ever Burn show in Europe, which took place in October 2015 in London, was pretty hyped. People from all over Europe travelled for this show. It was a good evening as far as I'm concerned, and for the collectors out there, there was a cool variant made especially for this show.
Before the show I had been to talking to an acquaintance I had met by chance while waiting outside the venue if this was actually going to be the only Burn show in Europe or if they might do a tour at some point. We both agreed that judging by other old bands first doing shows again in the US, and then a few exclusive shows in Europe, that yeah, they'd be back at some point.
In the end, it took them less than six months to come back, haha. They played a show at one of the venues I used to go to on a regular basis when I first started going to shows, so that made for a promising evening. However, the show itself turned out to be really weird. The opening bands were horrible, there were only maybe 40-50 people in the audience, and I was definitely one of the younger people there - and I'm 34. Burn played a very good set though. They didn't really care that the turnout wasn't all that great and seemed to have a lot of on stage. Again, they had a special variant of one of their records with them. Last Great Sea had been repressed shorty before that on green and orange vinyl. The tour variant is also green vinyl, plus it was stamped "Europe 2016". Some of the green vinyl copies have this black smudge/thumb print. I've been told there are 100 copies of the tour press. Correct me if that's wrong.


Close up of the stamp.


2 comments:

  1. Definitely get what you mean about taking a break. I've done the same. Slightly different motivation though - my interest just disappeared after my parcel got lost. But recently the interest has come back strong, so I should be able to start posting again.
    The London show the second time around was also weird. Very small venue, but very low attendance, and no movement when the band played.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everybody needs a break now and then, whatever the motivation is. Sometimes I do not see the use of blogging any more, considering the low amount of page views compared to a few years back. The average amount of hits is only 10% of what I used to have. Although I really appreciate the small community of bloggers we have here. I like reading what other collectors have to say and I like writing about my collection also.

    ReplyDelete